June 29, 2013
June 22, 2013
June 20, 2013
The Littlest Princess got married earlier this month and for whatever reason (probably alcohol related) I thought it would be great if I made my dress for the event. Forgetting of course that I haven’t sewn anything ballgown’esque for close to a decade.
Whenever black tie is an option, I take it, so I definitely wanted a floor length, ballgowny something. The MotB was going to be in a strapless cobalt gown and the MotG was going with a one-shoulder cocoa, so I figured I’d avoid both of those styles and aim for something halterish.
The initial design:
Since the moms were in cobalt and cocoa, I figured purple was somewhere in the middle and went with that.
Pinned to my dress form:
Adding the gold striping was actually pretty easy:
But after that point I ran into some problems. I tried it on and it was way too big, which I totally still don’t understand because I have the dress form set at my measurements. Then after I took it in, I realised that even my wee boobies were at risk of nip slipping on account of the open sides. Relying on double sided tape to keep from flashing everyone didn’t seem like the best idea so:
It worked! I had to add a set of darts at the lower waist at the last minute as it was gaping a little bit, but I think it turned out well.
Everything blurry but me!
Everything in focus but me!
Everything in focus – including me!
5 instances of slightly inappropriate touching!
Tags: diy, formal, home sewn, sewing
June 14, 2013